More Auto Racing News

More News | Wire

NASCAR honors Johnson, Stewart, Junior

LAS VEGAS (AP) Jimmie Johnson called winning a record-tying seventh NASCAR Sprint Cup title "insane" Friday night, while Tony Stewart was sent off into retirement and Dale Earnhardt Jr. told his adoring fans at the season-ending banquet that he'll be ready to race in 2017.

Johnson's dramatic victory in the finale last month at Homestead moved him into a tie with Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt for the most series championships. Johnson was introduced by 23-time Olympic gold medalist swimmer Michael Phelps at the Wynn Las Vegas. Read More...

Stewart leaving NASCAR to race more

LAS VEGAS (AP) Tony Stewart sat in a casino ballroom wearing a coat and tie he no doubt wanted to rip off and brushed off a question about whether he was happy his NASCAR career was over.

"It's not over yet," Stewart said. "Still got a banquet." Read More...

Monster Energy to sponsor top series

LAS VEGAS (AP) NASCAR's top circuit has been called the Winston Cup, Nextel Cup and Sprint Cup.

Starting in 2017, the sport could have a Cup-less name, one of many changes expected as Monster Energy takes over as title sponsor with a desire to attract younger fans to a sagging sport. Read More...

Retired Gordon to drive in Rolex 24

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) Four-time NASCAR champion Jeff Gordon, who retired after the 2015 season, will drive in the Rolex 24 at Daytona for the first time in a decade.

Gordon will drive in the twice-around-the-clock endurance race next month for Wayne Taylor Racing. Gordon will share seat time in the No. 10 Cadillac with Jordan Taylor, Ricky Taylor and Max Angelelli. The team has podium finishes in each of the last four Rolex races, although its third-place showing in 2015 was later disqualified for a drive-time violation. Read More...

Title yet to sink in for Johnson's chief

LAS VEGAS (AP) Chad Knaus had been a champion for six days, but the NASCAR title was so improbable, so unlikely, it still hadn't sunk in for Jimmie Johnson's crew chief.

The trigger was a traffic jam on a North Carolina interstate two days after Thanksgiving. Read More...

Roush to field 2 cars, lease 1 to JTG

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) Roush Fenway Racing will be a two-car Cup program next season and its third charter will be leased to JTG Daugherty Racing.

Roush will field cars at NASCAR's top level for Trevor Bayne and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. It will mark the first time since 1995 that Roush will field only two cars. The organization once peaked at five in 2009. Read More...

@STATS_Insights